- Painful finger or thumb that locks in a flexed position.
- Swelling/inflammation around the tendon causes it to lock as it enters the pulley system of the digit.
- Pain is felt in the palm at the base of the finger.
- A palpable click is felt on examination.
- Usually a steroid injection with local anaesthetic will settle the problem in 70-80% of patients.
- Recurrent triggering or multiple digits requires surgery
- Surgery -Day Stay
GA or LA
- Release of the entrance to the pulley system
- Occasionally the tendons need to be debrided or debulked.
- Infection, haematoma, neurovascular injury.
Post Op Care
- Day Surgery
- Light bandage for 5-10 days
- Encourage early movement of fingers and thumb
- Back to most activities by two weeks