Removal of Metalware
- Pain or discomfort over prominent metalware or desire not to have the metal in the body
- Metal plates, screws, wires can often be felt beneath the skin in areas with little soft tissue padding
- Prominent metalware can usually be felt
- X-rays can show if screws are backing out or if plates are prominent
- Occasionally CT scans are required.
- Usually General Anaesthetic
- Day Stay
- Metalware usually removed through existing scars
- Infection, Haematoma, Neurovascular Injury
- Broken screws – unable to be removed.
Post Op Care
- Firm Dressing to prevent bruising
- Early mobilisation –
- Underlying bone should be healed prior to metalware removal